Saturday, September 10, 2011

Nothing Wrong with a Little Give and Take

I'm marrying a carpenter, so I spend way more time than is necessary for me inside stores like Home Depot and Lowe's. I tend to prefer the latter, but this, as my fiance has pointed out to me is because "Lowe's was designed for Chicks, Home Depot is for professionals."

Anyways, while most of the country was preparing for tailgate feasting and some rowdy college gameday fun, I was wandering around the H.D. looking for materials for Anthony's next job. Now, I should say that I wasn't forced to come along on this trip, but with our hectic schedules, I'll take what I can get when it comes to spending time with him. However, what should have been a fifteen minute trip, turned into a several hour extravaganza.

At the first H.D. we stopped in, the staffer working the floor didn't have a clue what fascia was. Mind you, before I started dating the carpenter, I wouldn't have had a clue either, but given his current working environment, I would have expected more. We finally found our way to the correct aisle only to find that this H.D. only had four strips of the stuff and it was all bent out of shape.



We made our way to our second H.D. which, in my opinion was infinitely better. They even had bob-cats outside for rent.



Maybe one day I'll take one out for a spin just to say I can. I wonder what the insurance liabilities look like on those. They would definitely make me sign a waiver. The carpenter found what he was looking for here and we were off.

On the way home, we spotted a 90% off sale at Border's. Have I mentioned how much I love to read? We pulled in, and this time it was Anthony's turn to be patient as I perused the nearly empty aisles for what was left before the store shut its doors for good. I had to dwindle my pile, as we are on a pretty tight budget with a wedding to plan, but I managed to make my way out of the store with this stack of books for only ten dollars.

Anthony carrying all of my wonderful new books


We're home now and I can't think of a better way to finish off than snuggled up on the couch with my hunny and a good book. I've already made my way through one. Morning Glory, based on the movie with Rachel McAdams. Quick read, a little predictable, but being as chick lit is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, I still enjoyed it.

Today we got to spend a little time in his world and a little time in mine, enjoying each other's company along the way. It's all about the give and take in a relationship, we've all heard it a million times. But sometimes when both people are willing to be patient and open, the give and take feels a whole lot more like fun and adventure. Who knows? You may even learn something along the way.

What are your favorite excursions with your significant other?

No comments:

Post a Comment