Friday, September 9, 2011

Weddings, Engagements, and Presence

I was chatting with a friend of mine yesterday and the topic of being present came up. She’s in a serious relationship, ready to be engaged. I’m engaged, so ready to be married. And as we talked, we realized how easy it is to get caught up in the things we WANT to happen, the things we are “ready” for, and forget to enjoy exactly where we are.

The strain this attitude can cause in all areas of our life, especially our relationships is so unwarranted, so unnecessary, and yet somehow we tend to go there. Why is it so hard to just live in the gratitude of where we are, even when our lives really are so blessed?

Not to discount vision casting. I am all about big ideas, and big vision. It’s what pushes us forward, motivates us, and keeps us growing in the right direction. In fact, it’s these very big ideas that tend to get me excited. But every now and again, wouldn’t it be nice to take a moment and just live in what is right now. Understand how important these moments are. I will only be engaged once, I only get this one chance to really truly enjoy being a fiancée, so why should I ruin this time focusing on how much I want to be a wife?

I thought about this all night, and then this came in the mail today.



We’ll just say it’s a pretty great match to this.



Oh well, I never said it would be easy. I’m challenging myself, and all of you, to balance your dreams and goals with a gratitude and an appreciation for where you are right now. There is no better place for you to be at this moment than where you are. And let’s be honest, even with all of our struggles and doubts, it’s a pretty great place to be.

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

What challenges do you face in being present? What do you do to allow yourself to live in the moment?

1 comment:

  1. You say that there is no better place for me right now than where I am? But I am not in Florida or with you, so how can this be? :-)

    ReplyDelete