Saturday, January 14, 2012

Kobe on a Budget

Who doesn't love Kobe Steakhouse?

Or just hibachi food in general?

I certainly do. In fact, I went to Kobe on my birthday back in November.



The only problem with Kobe is that it is not the cheapest restaurant on the planet. And for a bride-on-a-budget like myself, or really anyone on a budget, which is most of us, it's just not possible all the time.

I've been craving Kobe lately, and in particular their white sauce. Then today, I stumbled upon these beauties while grocery shopping.



I've had Makoto's ginger dressing before and it is to die for. But I have never seen their white sauce before. I'm not even sure how long it's been available. With those right in front of me, I knew what I was making for dinner tonight.


^ American Salad with Mushrooms and Ginger Dressing - Teriyaki Sirloin, Stir-fry Veggies, and Fried Rice


I've never made steak before, I don't usually eat it, so this was stretch for me. And it was soooo worth it. I loved it, Anthony loved it, and the Makoto White Sauce, though it smells a little like Ranch at first, tastes absolutely delicious on top of it all.

The test though, is if we saved any money doing it our way.

The prices for Kobe aren't on-line so I couldn't do a very accurate check, but I know that when we go, we usually spend about 40 dollars plus tip. So, were looking at around $50 total for a night at Kobe.

Our version:

Salad: $2.69

Mushrooms: $1.99

Ginger Dressing: $2.99 

Sirloin: $4.63

Stiry Fry Veggies: $2.50

Bogo Uncle Ben's Fried Rice: $ .75

White Sauce: $ 3.99
Total: $19.54

So, not the cheapest meal I've ever made necessarily, but definitely cheaper than going out. Beyond that, we have half a bottle left of both the white sauce and the ginger dressing, as well as half a bag of salad, and 3/4 of our mushrooms. Taking that into account, our meal cost us $13.70 or $6.85 a piece, not terrible for a date night at home and certainly much better than we would've done at Kobe.

I highly recommend the Makoto sauces to anyone who hasn't tried them. They are absolutely delicious!

In my grocery store, they can be found in the produce section. I think it would be similar everywhere.

What are your favorite restaurant copy-cat meals to make at home?


1 comment:

  1. [...] yesterday was a pretty uneventful lazy Saturday. Though I did have an amazing dinner with the hubs-to-be. Today was almost equally uneventful, but starting the day off with a powerful [...]

    ReplyDelete