Friday, February 10, 2012

Jesus Freak

Yesterday, I found this comment about my blog. Small yes, but there are several things about it that really irk me.

So "Anonymous," here is my  open response to you.

First, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read my blog. The past week , I've been posting a lot of the more daily things, recipes and bridal showers, things of that sort. Yesterday, I even posted a short story I wrote as part of a challenge link-up. As such, I have to imagine you've read a little further back for you to find those posts that classify me as a "Jesus Freak". I'm glad you at least enjoyed the blog for a little while.

My first reaction to your label was to laugh, then I was hurt for a second, and then I realized that perhaps we don’t have the same definition of a “Jesus Freak.” For you, it seems to have a negative connotation. As if valuing being a Christian and standing for those beliefs is something I should hide or be ashamed of. I don’t see it that way at all.

The term “Jesus Freak” first came around in the ‘60’s when people started merging rock and roll with gospel music. When an entire hippie culture used music and poetry and all forms of open expression to worship God.  The movement used art to express worship. It was passionate. And that wave of passion in worship expression is still rolling today.

If being passionate about my faith makes me a “Jesus Freak,” I suppose I am guilty as charged. I am open about what I believe and I am vulnerable in that, and while that may open me up to comments like yours, I think it makes for a much more genuine experience for others wanting to get to know me.

I am not a Bible Thumper. I do not press my beliefs onto others. I have friends who are Atheist, Agnostic, Jewish, Muslim, and Hindu, and I think they can attest to the fact that although I talk about my faith, I am not out trying to push my beliefs onto you.

I go out, I have fun, I am not holed up reciting verses all day. I lead a normal life. I just live that life with the traditions, morals, and values that the Bible presents. Whether or not we agree on where we come from, or where we’re going, I think we can agree that kindness, respect and humility are pretty key ingredients while we’re here.

You mention that there are a thousand bloggers out there just like me. I hope you’re right. I hope that there are thousands of young women who are strong in their faith, whatever faith that may be, and are vulnerable enough to show it. My intention with this blog is to inspire others. Whether that be inspiration for dinner, inspiration for a party, or inspiration through the scripture (which is where I find a lot of my motivation), I want my readers to leave having gained something. I hope there are millions of other people who want to do the same thing

I suppose my biggest confusion in your comment is that you chose to remain anonymous. Such a bold statement, I would think, would warrant a backer. I have made myself vulnerable through this medium, and I am surprised that while dismissing me, you chose not to reveal your identity. I respect openness and vulnerability. It's hard to respect anonymity in a comment like that.

In the end, I want to leave you with one of the songs I grew up with. Maybe you'll enjoy it.



Thank you for your feedback.

Sincerely

Stephanie, “Jesus Freak”

13 comments:

  1. I like your honesty in this response. You know, Jesus walked this earth and he was seen as something like a freak. The religious people thought he was "drunk" all the time–probably because he was so upbeat and I imagine joyful compared to them. He ate and "partied" with tax collectors and prostitutes and un-religious type of people. He was immovable in his beliefs, compassionate to no end, and loved to say things that would purposely shake people up, make them think. He was extreme. A radical. Amazing. Called himself the Son of God. And I believe him. To follow someone like that–yeah. I'd be ok with being called a "Jesus Freak" :))

    Jeanine
    wayfaringgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reblogged this on Unique and Unpredictable and commented:
    Stumbled upon this and really commend the writer for her courage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally love your post! You go girl!!!! It's very commendable to stand up for what you believe in, not everyone has that courage. LOVE the video, havent heard that song in 4eva!!! Used to be one of my Fav songs. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, I got here by linking from mommywritervkent. The tone of your post is authentic and respectful, kind but upfront. The only thing that bothers me in it--please try to understand--is that you said this:

    "I hope that there are thousands of young women who are strong in their faith, whatever faith that may be, and are vulnerable enough to show it."

    Simply, I wish you had left out 'whatever faith that may be,' because as a Christian you know that all things aren't equal. There is Truth.

    Lord bless you as you blog!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, I ame across from mommywritervkent and wow! shame shame shame on that comment. If someone wrote that on mine (minus the JF bit) I'd be horrified and really angry. You dealt witht this is a wonderful, strong way, kudos to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try not to take offense at that, as a non believer, of any religion, I read this that Christianity is the best..? and all others are somewhere not as good, therefore not equal..
    I stand to be corrected, as I said, I know nothing of religion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Mother, Beader and Coffee Lover! It's not that there is 'better' or 'best', but that truth exists. Jesus said that He is the way, the truth, and the life. I believe this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria,

    Yes, I absolutely believe as you do, that Jesus is the Truth and the Way and the Light, and I am convicted in that truth. My point to this is that people shouldn't be dismissed based on their faith. It is not my place to judge, nor is it my place to condemn someone because we don't hold the same belief system.

    Faithful women are the strongest women I know, and that's all I was trying to say.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, Stephanie! Thank you for responding! Keep writing,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love that song. That was one of the first introductions I had to more contemporary Christian music and I was obsessed. Thank you for reblogging!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It really is incredible when you think about who Jesus was in his time and how radical his teachings must of seemed to that time's society. And yes girl! Join the "Jesus Freak" club, I can definitely use fellow members :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen! And I love that song...DC Talk was one of my fave groups when I was younger. Kudos to you in your graceful and Christ like response, one of respect, and loving correction. I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete