Monday, February 27, 2012

Weekend Update

This past weekend has got to have been one of the best weekends in recent memory. Short and sweet (I had to work on Saturday morning), but jam packed with good times and great friends. A couple of the highlights:

Chance Encounters in Unlikely Places

Friday night, the hubs-to-be, his best friend and I went out for pizza and decided to finish the evening at Barnes and Noble, sipping coffee and reading magazines. (We are clearly very cool people spending our Friday nights reading. Don't Judge :)) We were sitting in the cafe, I was being my usual loud self (I have no volume control), and from what I could gather, were entertaining (or annoying) most of the other patrons.

About 45 minutes into our chat, a woman at a table nearby asked if we were getting married. I said yes, and we started chatting. She mentioned she was a caricature artist and then handed me this.



How great is that? I almost fell out of my seat with excitement. I've been wanting to get a caricature done for the longest time and here was this amazing woman, offering one to me out of the blue. We chatted for a little while more, then I went back to my magazine and she went back to doing what she was doing. (Just wait, it gets even better)

About twenty minutes later, she came back over and handed me this.



A wedding caricature of me and the hubs-to-be. This is definitely getting framed.

If you can't tell in the pictures, her web-site is www.paulalarge.com . She does weddings and all sorts of other events, and if you go to her web-site, you will see a whole list of other fun entertainment options she and the people she works with offer. Definitely check her out if you have an event coming up.

Cruise Crawling

^That right there actually refers to honeymoon shopping but I like alliteration, so I went with it.

I had a little wiggle room in my budget after doing a couple of extra side jobs, so Anthony and I (and our best friends) headed out to the mall this weekend to boost our cruise wardrobe. I haven't been on a cruise since I was fifteen, and unfortunately I am no longer a size 00 which means I am in dire need of cruise-worthy attire.

Something I already knew about myself became incredibly evident this weekend. I am cheap. Like, very very cheap. Like, I hate spending money. At the mall, I just couldn't justify spending the money on the clothes that I found so cute.

Where I found the majority of my items? TJ Maxx. I could spend all day walking between TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Home Goods, particularly the ones near my house. They always have a good selection of brands stocked, and they are always clean and organized, something that I particularly value in discount stores.

After hours spent in dressing rooms (I am picky and as I mentioned earlier, cheap) we found exactly what we were looking for. Now, I just have to wait for April to get here.



Mofongo Munching

^Mwhaha, see the alliteration? Yesterday, we were treated to dinner at a mofongo food truck in South Orlando. I had never had mofongo before, and was pleasantly surprised by how incredibly delicious it was. For those of you who haven't tried it either, mofongo is similar to mashed potatoes but made with plantains. From there, they top it with all sorts of variations of meats and sauces. It looks something like this.



I had the garlic chicken mofongo, and trust me I will be going back. If you're in Central Florida, you have got to check these guys out. Their truck, "Pinones en Orlando" is parked at a gas station on the corner of Curry Ford and Conway (we ate tailgate style), and despite the immediate impression of the surroundings, this place is amazing. Check out their Facebook page here. (Heads up, it's primarily in Spanish)



Of course, I finished the weekend watching the Oscars, and I'm planning a post on that for later today. There was just so much greatness packed into one awards ceremony, it certainly deserves its own post. Look for that a little later.

Hope your weekends were just as great and your Mondays are off to a good start! Here's to making this week a great one.

1 comment:

  1. I can't blame you for counting down the days to your honeymoon...... it will be the most fun ever! I will encourage you to not wish time away though-- my husband and I now look back at those days and weeks pre wedding as some of the most precious memories we have. It was so fun and so exciting and you can never get it back so just soak up every minute of it! It will be over before you know it! :)

    ReplyDelete