Sunday, February 12, 2012

What I've Learned About Life From Being a Bride

I've still got a little more than two months to go until my wedding day. Actually, I have two months and ten days, but who's counting, right?

Throughout this process though, there are some things I've learned about being a bride-to-be, often things that translate into everyday life, that I think should be shared.

# 1) In the words of Whitney Houston, "It's not right, but it's okay. I'm gonna make it anyway." Shit will happen. Things will not go the way you want. You will have to pick up the pieces when others fail to deliver. And you know what? It's okay. Details are details and they will work themselves out (with some help of course). I am a huge control freak, so this one is hard for me, but its true. And you know, it goes for life too. Things will happen, and they won't be fair but things will always return to normal in the end.

# 2) Don't expect others to fail to deliver. Sometimes (most of the time), particularly when you are a major Type A like me, you will share the mentality that things done right must be done by yourself. Learn to delegate. Learn to trust. Realize that there are great people who are supporting you. Whether that be your family, your fiancĂ©, even your vendors, there really are some amazing people out there who want your day to be great just as much as you do. I am still learning this, both in my wedding planning, and in my day-to-day  life. I am the worst delegator in the world. But I'm working on it. And I have faith that it will make a difference.

# 3) Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, it's okay to be just a little selfish. I am frugal to the point of being cheap, but I will always take care of  the necessities. Sometimes, it is okay to splurge on yourself. It's okay to have a photo booth at your wedding because that's what you've been dreaming of. It's ok to splurge on a massage when you're feeling tense. Obviously, I'm not suggesting you go crazy and blow all of your money. Be responsible. Know your limits. But allow yourself the luxury of enjoying things every now and again.

# 4) Spend quality, alone time with your fiancé. When life's responsibilities meet work, and those meet wedding planning, quality time can go out the window. When budgets start to collide, the same can happen. Make sure you remember why you are getting married in the first place. You are crazy in love. Like jump off of a cliff in love. Keep it that way.



# 5) Take advantage of the opportunities you have to make this time in your life something to remember. For me, as a bride, this means going to all of the bridal shows, and subscribing to all of the wedding magazines, and watching every single wedding related there is. Because there is only one time in my life that I will ever be engaged, so I am going to do every engaged person thing there is. Wherever you are in life, take advantage of it. Love where you are and enjoy the ride while you're there.





Looks like Wedding Wednesday came a little early this week. Whoops! I guess we'll just have to see what hump day holds in store for you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment