Tuesday, February 14, 2012

When You're Not Feeling the Love on Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day. Ah, the love, the romance, l’amour. (I realize I just said the love twice, but it’s in two different languages so who cares.)

When you’re single, valentine’s holds very little meaning, and makes you acutely aware of just how single you are. At least that’s how it went for me. I’m pretty sure chick flicks and chocolate were my M.O. in my single days. I would say wine, but I was 19 when I met the hubs-to-be, so that wasn’t really an option pre-fiance.

When you are dating, you’re majorly courted by your significant other. Flowers, chocolates, jewelry, the whole nine yards. Dates and wooing ensue, and you feel like the luckiest girl in the whole world.

When you’re engaged and all of your combined resources are going towards paying for a wedding? Apparently, you get squat...

It’s not so much that the hubs-to-be forgot, he actually knew it was valentine’s day today. But his response when I handed him his card and looked for mine? “Oh, was I supposed to get you one. I mean, it’s just Valentines Day. Who really cares?”

Um, I don’t know. Every female in the universe. That’s who!

I think the problem here is we have fallen into the old married couple trap, and we’re not even married yet!

Now don’t get me wrong. The hubs-to-be is taking me to dinner tonight and I’m sure it will be amazing. And he shows me all the time how much he loves me. But still, I like pink hearts and sparkles, and all you need to make that happen is some pink card-stock and glitter glue. (HTB isn’t that crafty, so maybe not that exact route would work for him, but you get the gist.)

Guys, a hint. Girls want to brag about you on Valentine’s Day. We want a reason to be all mushy and gushy and talk about how amazing our guys are. So while the immediate benefit of the holiday is definitely in the women’s favor, trust me, this holiday can be very good for your reputation. And you will definitely reap the rewards later.
To my valentine –

I love you more than I can ever say. I even love you more than chocolates, which is why I am only a little upset that I didn’t get any this morning ;). You are absolutely perfect for me in every single way, despite your apparent lack of holiday knowledge, and while you may think this is a dig at you, I will say publicly that you are more than I could have ever asked for and could ever deserve.

You put up with my “intense” moods, and usually know exactly what to say to make me feel like the most important, special person in the world. When things get rough, I know I can always depend on you, and I trust you with every fiber of my being. I love you for always making me smile, and laugh, and for making me feel beautiful when I feel completely un-put-together.

Oh – and you’re smoking hot too!


Happy Valentine’s Day All!

No comments:

Post a Comment