Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!


Though it's been many years since he's passed away

The genius of Dr. Seuss lives on today

Annnndd... that's where the poem ends. I was planning on going all poetry brilliant on you today, but let's be honest, I tend to write like I speak. And I don't usually speak in rhyme.(Unless I'm stretching my rap muscles, but that's a-whole-nother story).

Regardless of my poetry prowess, today's post is less about me and more about Dr. Seuss. Today would be his 108th birthday. And not so coincidentally, today is the day his beloved story, "The Lorax" makes it way to the big screen.

I still remember reading the stories growing up (let's be honest, I still go back to them time to time), And in my humble opinion, Dr. Seuss is one of the most influential authors in recent history. Yes, he primarily wrote children's books. And yes, they are whimsical and fun and, on the surface, are light and airy and colorful. But there was always a lesson hidden in those stories. And you can go across the world and find very few people who don't know his name, if any.

What I love about Dr. Seuss (pronounced Zoice in his native Bavaria, not Soose as we Americans have come to say it) is that he got his start in advertising. His cartooning skills got him noticed, got him advertising contracts, and allowed him to create the "Got Milk?" catchphrase of his day, "Quick, Henry, The Flit!" When asked why he got into children's books, he always said it was because that was the only type of outside writing his advertising contract would allow him to pursue.

Thank Goodness for that!

I saw this picture floating around the inter web and am loving it. Thirty Dr. Seuss quotes that can change your life. I would say I've probably quoted at least three-quarters of these. And  can see a lot of these being turned into some pinterest-worthy wall art.


Some other fun Dr. Seuss Posts:




Happy Friday!

5 comments:

  1. He died right here in San Diego. The library at the University of California San Diego is named after him and a great many of his private papers reside in the Seuss Collection at the library. I'll post a picture of the library later today because it's an awesome building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just took my nanny kiddos to The Lorax today- it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete