Tuesday, June 19, 2012

For Kate


Sometimes, you meet people who are just unabashedly joyful. That doesn’t mean they are always happy, or that they have no down moments. But what it does mean is that they literally emanate joy. You can’t help but be happy when you are around them.

I was racking my brain about what to write about today, but the truth is, there’s only one thing on my mind. A good friend of mine is in surgery today, finally getting the new lungs she’s been waiting for for over five years. You see, she has cystic fibrosis, an illness that is hard and draining, and every bit as awful as it sounds. And today, she is undergoing a double lung-transplant. But, I have never once heard her complain.

When I first met Kate, I never would’ve known she was sick. In fact, I don’t think I even had a clue for the first 6 months or so of our friendship. She is bubbly and joyful and talks far more about her penchant for fashion than anything health related. She is a beautiful person inside and out, and I cannot imagine being more excited for her than I am today.

I’m asking for your prayers and your thoughts today and in the weeks to come as she undergoes this long surgery and the journey of recovery that is sure to follow. I know it will be hard, but I am convinced that the joy that she possesses has been gifted to her for a moment such as this. God’s blessings will push her through this journey, as long as it may be, and I am so blessed to count her as a friend.


2 comments:

  1. sending much love to Kate. She has a good friend in you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts and love! She's out of surgery today and doing really well! We are very excited!

      Delete