I don't know any better way to enjoy those types of days than with a plate full of comfort food, and these enchiladas certainly meet all the qualifications. Warm, gooey, and surprisingly pretty good for you (minus the boatloads of cheese you put on top.) I created the recipe by accident when we were low on groceries, but it's turned into one of my favorite easy meals.
Like with all of my other recipes, the measurements aren't important. You can alter most things to fit your personal flavor preferences.
What You Will Need
Fat free flour tortillas
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
One Can Tomato paste
Small Can Tomato Sauce
2 packets of Old El Paso Hot and Spicy Taco Seasoning
1/2 cup Salsa
Mexican 4-Cheese Blend
1) Fill a flat-bottomed pan with Chicken Broth, cilantro and garlic. Add Chicken. (The cilantro and garlic here are just to flavor the braising liquid. You don't need to worry about the chop on either. I generally just tear the cilantro to release some of the flavor and roughly chop the garlic for the same purpose)
2) Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer until the chicken cooks through (about 30 minutes.)
3) Remove Chicken from the pan to a cutting board. Shred the chicken and put into a separate bowl.
4) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
5) In another bowl, combine tomato paste and tomato sauce. Fill the tomato sauce can with water and add this to the bowl.
6) Add both packets of taco seasoning, salsa, and a few dashes of hot sauce if you like extra heat. (I've used both homemade salsa and store-bought here. Both work equally as well.)
7) Coat shredded chicken with 1/2 of the sauce mixture and stir well.
8) Line Casserole dish with a layer of the sauce mixture.
9) Assemble enchiladas. Fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture and place in the dish seam side down. (I can usually fit six enchiladas in my 9x13 dish. They are hearty and I can only ever eat one.)
10) Cover enchiladas with the remaining sauce mixture.
11) Generously sprinkle with cheese.
12) Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese starts to bubble.
13) Remove and enjoy.