Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Benefits of Marrying Well


I had this past weekend entirely planned out. Saturday, the hubs was going to take me shopping since I didn't get to do as much as I would have liked while we were up north. Sunday, was intended to be a day for laundry.

While Saturday went entirely as planned (with the one exception of us bringing home far more than was originally expected,) Sunday had me thanking the Lord I married such a handy husband.

It started innocently enough. We slept in and enjoyed the late morning sunshine for a moment before I headed to start the laundry. I loaded up the washing machine for the first of what was to be many times that day (I get behind, it happens,) and walked back into my bedroom to tidy up a bit. I heard a gurgling coming from our bathroom and called Anthony over to look at the bubbling toilet with me.

As it goes with murphy's law, by the time Anthony got there, the bubbling had stopped and I was slightly miffed by the fact that I couldn't show him what was happening. As we were turning to leave, we heard an ominous gurgling coming from our bathtub.

And then this happened.



An outpour of dirty sewer water, began filling the tub. We stood there staring, not sure what to do in the moment, but obviously knowing something had to be done. I anxiously began contemplating if we knew any plumbers in the area who would come out on a Sunday morning. Calmly, Anthony looked at me and said, "Steph, we don't need a plumber. I can handle this."

Now, I know my husband has skills. He is a carpenter, he handles maintenance for several properties. But in moments like these, I really appreciate the knowledge he possesses. What would have been at least a $300 plumbing call became a $25 snake rental from Home Depot. Anthony climbed on our roof and snaked out the vent shafts. To illustrate my complete lack of knowledge,  I didn't even realize you could access plumbing through the roof. Within a couple of hours, he had everything back to normal and we could run water again, which meant I could finally get back to the laundry I so desperately needed to get done.

Our first adventure in homeownership was luckily a rather mild one, but has taught me not to underestimate my husband. Ah, the benefits of marrying well. :)



2 comments:

  1. LOL! You crack me up. That's nasty. I'm glad you were able to fix the situation quickly. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't know you could access plumbing through the roof either.

    -Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vent stacks dear Watson, vent stacks...

    ReplyDelete