Monday, August 12, 2013

The Ugliest Yard on the Block

Yes, I’ll own it. Currently, we have the ugliest yard in our neighborhood. In fact, we can probably account for the ugliest yard in the couple of neighborhoods that surround us as well.

I’ll admit it. I feel a little twinge of guilt every time I drive by a perfectly manicured lawn, only to remember the poor neglected space that is my own. The truth is, I inherited much of what is there now and just haven’t taken the initiative to really redesign the landscaping to something with more curb appeal. But now, over a year into owning this home, I think it’s about time to take my attention outside the front door and into the great outdoors.

One of the things I disliked most about the previous owner’s landscaping choices was the philodendron forest that took up a huge corner of our front yard. There were two reasons for my justified hatred. One, it covered up a good portion of the house, making the property appear much smaller from the street. And two, philodendron roots are a beast to deal with, having the strength to grow through concrete, and these plants were growing right next to the foundation of our home. Not only were they an eyesore, but were a potential hazard to the structure of our property as well.

Soon after moving in, I did a hack job on these babies, going through and cutting down the huge stalks that covered our front room windows and blocked any light from coming in. But, when I got to the roots, I was both tired and at a loss for what to do exactly, so I called it a day.
Horrible Picture, but you get the idea of the forest that was outside our windows.

That was a long time ago, and I haven’t attempted to finish the job since. That is, until this weekend. The other thing you should know about philodendron is that they are resilient plants. So, despite the fact that they had been sawed down, my decision to leave the roots allowed them to come back to life. I was more than unhappy with the situation, and decided now was the time to wage war against everything those little plants are.

It took both me and the hubs, a shovel, a rake, and a hatchet to get the job done, but we’ve removed nearly all of the roots that remained. I say nearly all, because each of the large roots has an exponential number of what I like to refer to as tentacle roots that we think will be better served by a tiller than by hand removal alone.

While pulling roots, an exceptionally fun activity, I’m pretty sure I also managed to pull some other things, namely my back muscles that are all screaming at me today for the work I did two days ago. I swear, at 23 I am getting old.

But all said and done, we are one step closer to the yard of my dreams. We've still got a very long way to go, in both the front and back yards, but just like the little engine that could, I think I can, I think I can.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for curb appeal! Also, I would like to note that I was present for the first picture and thus should be present in some picture during the landscaping project of your house...we need to coordinate a vaca from work

    ReplyDelete