Monday, September 2, 2013

Tybee Island Vacation Recap

Back to life... Back to reality

We are back home after a long weekend in Tybee Island. We ate, we explored, we relaxed. It was the perfect vacation and came at just the perfect time. We drove up Friday afternoon after Anthony got off work and arrived on the island just in time to meet up with Anthony's family for a late dinner and a couple of drinks.

Saturday morning, we walked over to the beach and spent a couple of hours lounging around and playing in the water. The weather was beautiful, and the water was calm, much to Anthony's disappointment. He was hoping for at least some sort of swell so he could get some surfing  in while he was there. Oh well, he just had to hang out with me instead. My only disappointment was that the beaches were dog free, meaning Obi has still not experienced the ocean. Sheltered pup, that one.




Later that afternoon, we hit the pier for some easy fishing. We dropped our lines, and it seemed to be a slow day for everyone already there. Within 15 minutes I had a bite, and my line was running. Stupidly, I reached for my rod, grabbing it up by the line, and the running line sliced right through my fingers. Brilliant, I know. Either way, I had a big catch, the biggest of the day, and though it got away, I gave everyone on the pier a show.

For dinner Saturday evening, we hit up a little gem in Tybee Island called The Crab Shack. The food was delicious, all low country style boils and steamed seafood. But what made this place so great was really the atmosphere. There were alligators and exotic birds to see, indoor seating as well as water-side outdoor seating, and a variety fun things to look at. If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend this place. 




I also recommend The Tybee Island Social Club, where we later stopped for dessert and coffee. We sampled their warm bacon fudge brownie and Irish coffee, while listening to the live band perform. This place was a more upscale cafe, with incredible looking drinks and a delicious looking dinner menu. It's on my agenda to hit this place up for dinner next time we're in the  area.



Sunday, we took a short trip into Savannah to hit up the city's highlights (The City Market, Forsyth Park, The River Walk, etc.) My favorite way to get around is always to hoof it all the way. I believe there's so much you can miss along the way, especially in old cities, when you take any other mode of transportation. You miss the little details in the architecture that really give a city character when you don't take the time to really walk the streets. So walk we did. A lot. In some really lovely heat. But it was so entirely worth it. 




To cool off on the way back, we stopped at a little place called The Beer Growler. The Beer Growler is a draft beer location that sells to-go bottles of the beers on tap, which can later be refilled at any growler location. Such a fun concept, but unfortunately the only locations are currently in Georgia. Whoever wants to franchise these in Florida, let me know. 

We finished Sunday evening with a Labor Day fireworks show on the beach. Ah, how I love fireworks. It was perfect.



We finished the vacation Monday with a trip to the Tybee Island lighthouse and Fort Screvens. The 178 steps to the top were a small price to pay for the gorgeous views. I was so glad to get to experience the history of Tybee Island in such a beautiful way.





All in all, this vacation was a total success. I always tell Anthony I'm  looking for two things in every vacation we plan. History and good food. And I certainly got to check both of those boxes this weekend. We're all worn out, so now it's just time to relax before heading back to the real world tomorrow.


How did you spend your Labor Day weekend? 


No comments:

Post a Comment